Genius Loci Travel is not ‘just’ a professional tour operator, our geographer’s background shows also in the information you get on our tours.
On our independent ‘self-guided tours you will get our exclusive set of “Route Notes & Maps”. This pack contains:
- 1 Set of our exclusive Route Notes, i.e. the description of all walks ‘step by step’; these include written route directions, as well as all necessary information on the daily organisation (including arrival and departure information), as well as tips for sightseeing, dining etc.
- Copies of the best available walking maps (scale 1: 25.000 or bigger), which together cover the whole area of your walking holiday, with your selected route clearly indicated. Mostly you get a map in the handy A4-format for each day (2 for some days).
- Original, very detailed maps (up to scale 1: 5000), where available;
- Small guides to the area, its sights & monuments.
- Timetable of public transport services (boats, trains & buses), where necessary.
- Extra info, to be used on day 4.
And if I book a group tour ?
Then you can of course rely on our well-trained local guides (link). They are among the best connoisseurs of the region you are travelling to. But as many people like maps, to keep track of the route and to take a copy home, we provide all clients on our group tour with general maps of the area you are visiting.
One more word about maps….
Many books have been written on Italy, and many tourist guides are available to plan your journey. Maps are another story though! For many regions of Italy simply no good walking maps are available. The national geographical institute (IGM – still military!) does publish good 1: 25.000 maps, a scale perfect for walking tours, but in many regions these haven’t been updated for the last decades… In the Alps private companies have published a number of very good maps, and also some national & regional parks have published some good material, but especially for many southern regions the perfect map has yet to be published. Moreover, many existing so-called ‘walking maps’ are just not reliable….
We therefore prepare our maps on purpose for each specific walking tour, basing ourselves on the best available walking maps of the area, on which your itinerary is clearly visible.
Maps are usually in scale 1: 25:000, the best scale for walking tours, while for cycling we also use maps in scales 1: 50.000 to 1: 200.000.
Be assured that you get the best available maps for your tour! We are map makers ourselves !